All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never ever prior to have many new techniques and clinical advancements emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless individuals the chance to decrease or remove their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and quick way to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will be delighted with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by expensive advertisements about a specific laser center. Pick the doctor, not the laser. Discover who will in fact do your procedure, then ask about that doctor's credentials (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Select a medical professional who has done at least Your Domain Name 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician doesn't understand can hurt you.
4. Request information on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. Discover another one if your medical professional won't inform you. For leading surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Look for a center with a dust-free or sterile operating room. Make certain that non reusable parts are not recycled. Firmly insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgery to get rid of the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The prospective savings are unworthy the risk of getting less than professional care!
7. Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, but don't expect to see perfectly. Each patient gets a slightly different outcome. The very best surgeon in the world cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as individual as each client. Beware of any physician who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely use better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the eyesight of millions of people around the globe.