Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never before have numerous brand-new strategies and clinical developments emerged in such a short period of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless individuals the opportunity to decrease or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and fast way to fix vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other physicians or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be fooled by elegant advertisements about a particular laser. Choose the doctor, not the laser. Learn who will really do your treatment, then inquire about that doctor's certifications (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Select a doctor who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a doctor does not understand can harm you.
Ask for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your physician will not inform you, find another one.
5. Ask what measures are taken to prevent infection. Look for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make certain that disposable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated before your eye laser surgery to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute.
Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, however do not expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a hard my response sell, you most likely are. Go somewhere else. You're not purchasing a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional over here about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the advantages: for a lot of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the vision of countless people around the globe.